Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Logan Wing: Mind Changed

Wow, its been a while since I wrote on this blog, even longer since I even thought about things that I wrote here.

I noticed a while back I said something to the effect of disliking loganwing. Well, now I've had the chance to play the army, in various different builds. I haven't tried the drop pods yet, but, I did at least play the army.


The first time I played the army, I didn't like it too much, it felt very unsure of itself (as all the wolfguard were armed with bolt pistols) do I want to charge, or do I want to shoot more rockets? I made a few changes to the list after that.

1. I switched over to boltguns, mostly because I had the models, and the models all had bolters. This gave the list a lot more dakka, and if there's anything I like more than zooming a fast model across the table, its dakka. Even a five man squad has a lot of damage potential, and logan's squad now has options, which I'll explain in a moment.

2. I started to use some really novel combi-weapons on logan's brick, specifically, combi-plas. You might be thinking that's a great way to cook a Sargent, but get this. Logan gives his squad one of three special rules, relentless, preferred enemy, or tank hunter. A plasmagun with tankhunters is S8 against a vehicle, a plasmagun with relentless will shoot you from very far away. I like the switchover to boltguns for this reason as well, logan's squad can now move and shoot for full effect.

3. I physically built the list. Originally I wasn't going to do it, but, I found an excuse to buy the wolfguard terminator box (a great kit) and bitz-traded with a friend for cyclones. Having played it now that I've invested in it, I like it a lot more than I expected I would.

In the end, the list has mobility (Far more than I expected), it has firepower, and it has lots of choices to make in how to deal with things.  The only thing I feel it lacks (ironically) is toughness, as all those infantry squads can be killed by charges from combat units fairly easily.  (A bloodletter swings at I5, my counter attack goes at I4....yeah, not winning that combat)  I have to be quite careful with my squads in order to not-die.

So yeah, mind changed, who knew? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment